Founded in 1918, Ashford University is committed to providing accessible and innovative education opportunities through its accredited graduate programs. Ashford takes pride in providing cost-effective education to its students. The online MBA in public administration focuses on developing practical business skills through courses including Organizational Behavior, Quantitative Principles, and Legal Environment, along with specialized courses, such as Governmental Budgeting, Public Administration Foundations, and Public Policy Development. Prior to graduation, Students must complete a final project that demonstrates their understanding and skills in public administration, using all that they have learned through their comprehensive curriculum.
An online MBA in public administration arms students with valuable skills that will assist them in advancing their careers. You will be able to improve project delivery within your organization quickly as you apply concepts from your course work in your workplace.
What Does an MBA in Public Administration Cover?
An MBA in public administration is designed to prepare students for the challenges of serving as an administrator of government and academic policy. Many of the MBA programs in public administration are two year but some can be accelerated or stretched out. The educational requirements for this program depend heavily upon the type of projects you manage. In the case of educational projects, an education degree is typically required, while those who are striving to work in public policy might need to earn a degree in U.S. history or political science. Public administration educates a student on the importance of being a leader, working well with others and knowing how to put together a schedule, implement a change and then stick to it. One requirement of many online Public Administration MBA programs is that you complete an internship. Schools view the experience that can come from these opportunities as extremely beneficial, and you will have increased your confidence in landing a good job after graduate school.
Getting Into a Public Administration MBA Program
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, typically with an overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher. Some schools may allow lower GPAs and may permit a GMAT or GRE score to supplement. In most cases, applicants are expected to possess at least basic foundation knowledge of business. However, students do not need to have a business bachelor’s degree to qualify for entry into an MBA program. Instead, those who did not receive their bachelor’s degree in business or another related field are required to complete courses such as the following before beginning their MBA studies:
- Principles of Management
- Financial Accounting
- Foundations of Business
- Business Law and Ethics
Most schools will also require letters of recommendation and essays.
Why Should I Get an AACSB Accredited Public Administration MBA?
Be sure to pick a program that is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) to make certain you have enrolled in a quality one that will be readily accepted in the job market. The AASCB is a nonprofit membership organization that is devoted to improving the quality of management education.
What Jobs Can an Online Public Administration MBA Get Me?
- City Manager: These professionals are responsible for the day-to-day operations of a city, including handling the supervision and coordination of various departments and hiring and firing staff. These managers also monitor a city’s budget and suggest where money is most needed, such as for renovations, roadwork or schools.
- Medical and Health Service Manager: These managers plan, coordinate and oversee health care delivery. They ensure that health care facilities are integrating technology and delivering care in the most efficient ways possible. Many deal with patient records and insurance companies as well, though in larger facilities medical and health service managers may have assistants who tackle those responsibilities instead. The managers also ensure that the facilities are adhering to health laws.
- Fire Chief: The chief is the top ranking individual in a fire department. He or she ensures that the department is functioning as efficiently as possible, firefighters are well trained and in good physical condition, and that a sufficient number of staffers are scheduled for each shift. Chiefs report to the mayor or fire commissioner if there are any issues. They often travel with firefighting crews to blazes to help put them out, and make appearances at community events to educate people about fire and injury prevention.
Top Earning Industries for Jobs
- Local Government: $64,444-$130,248
- Public Services: $51,395-$117,916
- Medical Services: $42,645-$85,200
- Hospital: $32,722-$75,000
- Salary: $50,490-$128,838
How Do I Find Online Public Administration MBA Programs?
There are many degree mills you want to watch out for, so doing extensive research is important. Check out school sites, news sources and books for rankings of programs to help you find ones that are respected and meet your needs.