Campus: Farmville, Virginia
Primarily Asychronous: Yes
Base Program Cost NR: $36,072
Per Credit Hour NR: $1,012 (includes fees, MBA course fee of $210)
Base Program Cost R: $18,432
Per Credit Hour R: $512 (includes fees, MBA course fee of $210)
Minimum Credit Hours: 36
GMAT Required: Yes
Minimum Time Commitment: 24 months
Online Concentrations: Generalist/Electives, Retail Management
Campus Requirements: Yes. F/T students: 2 extended weekends. P/T students: 3 extended weekends.
School Site: Overview | Tuition | Financial Aid
With the mission to prepare students for the competitive business environment as well as developing a group of citizens capable of strong and effective leadership, Longwood University stands out as an option for higher level education. Longwood’s teachers strive to foster student learning, scholarship, and achievement. Longwood is currently the only four-year public institution in south central Virginia and serves as a catalyst for regional advancement and prosperity.
At Longwood University, students will be challenged to fully engage in the world around them. Longwood says its online MBA can help students gain an extra advantage in their business careers and stand out as prominent members of society.
Longwood University has received full accreditation to award degrees by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (SACS, COS) and has additionally received specialized accreditation for its business degrees, including the MBA program, by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
With the goal of providing graduating students with a solid platform of business knowledge, leadership values, and ethics, the online format provide the flexibility for working adults to study at home, but it also allows them to work on the degree at their own pace.
Students enrolled in the online MBA program can choose from two different concentrations of study: retail management and general business. Longwood provides a cohort system so that groups can work together on the same classes and draw from the benefits of the diversity of multiple perspectives, opinions, and learning styles. Even though the classes are online, the cohorts come to campus in the summer for an extended weekend residency session (part-time students complete three, full-time cohorts complete two).
The entire program is comprised of 36 credit hours of core classes and electives. The retail management degree can be obtained part time over the course of two years, and the general business degree can be completed in one to two years depending on whether or not the student is on a full-time accelerated format or a part-time schedule.
The following is a list of criteria applicants must meet to be considered for admission to Longwood University:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university, and either an Undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale), or a GPA of 3.5 or higher on six hours of Longwood MBA degree program courses within the last 12 months, and
- GMAT, with a minimum score of 470, and Admission score of 1100 or greater. Admission score is based on the following formula: GMAT + GPA (200) > 1100*, and Minimum TOEFL score of 570 (paper test) or 80 (internet test), or a minimum 6.5 on the IELTS for individuals whose first language is not English
Students who meet the above criteria may follow these steps for the admission process:
- An application and $50 application fee. On-line or printable application forms can be found on the Graduate Studies Admission Procedures web site. Application materials are also available by completing the information request form
- Two recommendations; recommendation forms can be found on the Graduate Studies Admission Procedures web site
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
- GMAT score
- A personal essay of 500 words or more discussing your interest in the MBA program. Include your career goals and how the graduate program for which you are applying would help to meet those goals; prior work/life experiences which relate to your interest in, and aptitude for, the graduate program for which you are applying; your perception of your intellectual capability to complete successfully your graduate program
Tuition and Financial Aid
Base cost for the online MBA program at Longwood University is $36,072 for out-of-state residents, which breaks down to about $1,012 per credit hour. In this case, the base program cost includes fees.
Longwood University recommends several resources for acquiring financial aid to help cover tuition costs: grants (which do not have to be repaid), scholarships (also not requiring repayment and generally come with merit requirements), loans (which do have to be repaid), and work experience opportunities (that allow students to work on campus to pay for college).
Students can access a variety of resources to help aid them through the process of taking classes online and navigating the website. Longwood University’s website will direct students to the online bookstore, university catalogs, exam and class schedules, academic calendars, Registrar’s Office, myLongwood, Blackboard (the online classroom), and Live Mail. Online students also have access to the Longwood Library, with over 150 online databases and indexes, a collection of e-books, and chat and email access to librarians. The Longwood Technology Help Desk is also available via email and a toll-free number.
Online MBA Programs in Virginia | Online MBA Programs in the United States | Schools: Online MBA Profiles | Guide: Getting Started With Your MBA | Database: Search Top Online MBA Programs | Research: MBA Concentrations | Video: One Minute MBA