Campus: North Charleston, South Carolina
Type: Private, Faith Based
Base Program Cost: $20,625
Per Credit Hour: $625
Minimum Credit Hours: 33
GMAT Required: Yes
Minimum Time Commitment: 24 months
Online Concentrations: Generalist/Electives, Accounting, Finance, Leadership, Management Information Systems
On Campus Requirements: No
With 3,300 students enrolled, Charleston Southern University is one of the largest accredited, independent universities in South Carolina. Their vision is to be a Christian university recognized nationwide for integrating faith in serving, learning, and leading as part of their curriculum and education mindset. Outside of the classroom, students are encouraged to participate in multiple activities including athletics, community service, and ministry work.
Founded in 1964, Charleston Southern University now offers 57 Bachelor’s degrees and four Master’s degrees. All of their degree programs blend a comprehensive liberal arts foundation (which encourages the growth and development of problem-solving and communication skills) with the degree focus course-work.
Charleston Southern University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and their MBA program received specialized accreditation by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
Charleston Southern University’s online MBA consists of a minimum of 33 credit hours, the course-work is a combination of core curriculum, quasi-core, general elective or law, and emphasis electives. Students who have not obtained a degree relevant to business may be required to take additional prerequisite classes. The online format of the online MBA program allows highly motivated students to utilize the flexibility of a work-from-home environment. From their computers, students can read and discuss assignments, and take tests and quizzes.
Though there isn’t a specific time they are required to be online, they do have to submit assignments by certain deadlines. The online classroom MBA degree program was specifically designed to make a Master’s degree possible for the students whose careers and families consume the majority of their time. The online MBA program can be completed in its entirety within a two-year time frame
Charleston Southern University’s admissions process looks closely at the applicants’ materials for evidence of communication and writing skills, initiative, maturity, commitment, leadership, teamwork, innovation, and creativity. Those who participate in leadership roles in community and collegiate activities stand a higher chance of being admitted to the University.
Given the unique method of measuring an applicant’s potential admission, there is no set GPA requirement. Each student is evaluated based on what the admissions board sees evident in their work. Students are encouraged to be as persuasive as possible with their application package, but there are a few factors that stand out to the admissions committee.
• Strong professional work experience, as shown on resume
• 3.0 (or higher) GPA’s are not required, but they generally indicate the necessary level of academic ability to pursue graduate-level course work
• Application essay describing the student’s interest in attending Charleston Southern University for their MBA program, their future plans, and how they foresee the school being able to aid in that process. The essay is used to evaluate both motivation and communication skills.
• GRE and GMAT scores are option, but highly recommended for applicants who might not have stronger credentials.
• Recommendations from two individuals knowledgeable of the applicant’s work ethic, academic abilities, and potential for leadership, should be sent to the admissions office. These may be sent in standard Charleston Southern University format or as personal letters and can come from professionals (work supervisors and such), teachers or professors, and pastors or religious leaders.
• In some cases, following a preliminary review of the application, the applicant may be requested to participate in an admissions interview to be evaluated based on maturity, career focus, motivation, and interpersonal skills.
Each individual applicant is judged on the overall application package, not just on one decisive criterion. The MBA admissions committee will notify applicants following their final decision. If an applicant does not attend Charleston Southern University within two major terms (fall or spring) of their acceptance, it will expire and the student will need to reapply if they desire to attend later.
Tuition and Financial Aid
The base cost for 33 credit hours of the online MBA program at Charleston Southern University is $20,625, at $625 per credit hour. This does not include the extra costs of application, exams, transcript, or graduation fees.
Charleston Southern University offers a wide variety of scholarships but most do not apply to graduate students. However, federal scholarships are available to all college students. A few of the more prominent ones include the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), and the Federal College Work-Study. All of these scholarships must be applied for through the FAFSA online prior to registration with CSU. In addition to federal grants, CSU’s website lists multiple outside scholarships for essay contests and more that students can apply for whatever their education status.
For online degree obtaining students, Charleston Southern University’s website accesses many helpful resources including Buc Mail (CSU student email), Buc Online (the student newspaper), CSU blogs, the academic calendar, and the Online Classroom via the CAPS program.
Online MBA Programs in South Carolina | Online MBA Programs in the United States | Schools: Online MBA Profiles | Guide: Getting Started With Your MBA | Database: Search Top Online MBA Programs | Research: MBA Concentrations | Video: One Minute MBA