Campus: Boston, Massachusetts
Accreditation: AACSB, NEASC
Base Program Cost: $75,650
Per Credit Hour: $1,513
Minimum Credit Hours: 50
GMAT Required: Leverage our focus on professional experience, GRE/GMAT not required for admission
Minimum Time Commitment: 24 months
Online Concentrations: Finance, Healthcare Management, High Technology Management, Innovation Entrepreneurship, International Management, Marketing, Supply Chain Management, Sustainability
On Campus Requirements: No
Northeastern University was founded in Boston in 1898. Combining academic excellence with forward thinking, Northeastern began offering online learning opportunities in 2006 and now has more than 70 programs, degrees and certificates available through six colleges. Students can earn their bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree in a variety of fields including health sciences, business administration, arts, engineering, and computer and information sciences. The online master’s degree in business administration provides students with a strong foundation in business enterprise.
Northeastern has been accredited since 1940 by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education. Founded in 1885, this commission is the oldest regional accrediting association in the country and acts as the regional accreditation agency for colleges and universities in the six New England states. This association is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation as a reputable evaluator of postsecondary institutions’ educational quality. In addition, Northeasterns’s online MBA program is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
Northeastern offers the following MBA options:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Finance
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Healthcare Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in High Technology Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Innovation Entrepreneurship
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in International Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Marketing
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Supply Chain Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in General Management
These types of programs allow students to develop a solid foundation in general business knowledge through courses like Managing the Global Enterprise; Financial Management and Accounting; Managing Information Resources; Creating and Sustaining Customer Markets; Strategic Decision-Making in a Changing Environment; and Technology, Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Growth. In addition to core business courses, students also take elective courses that are focused on their area of interest.
Specifically designed for the working professional, Northeastern’s MBA program is structured to accommodate varying schedules. With nine start dates throughout the year, students won’t have to wait long to begin an Online MBA program at Northeastern and can complete it in about 24 to 27 months. Students are expected to complete nine courses per year with each course ranging anywhere from three to seven weeks. Although courses still have due dates and deadlines, they are designed with a certain amount of flexibility in mind and allow for students to continue their education while still fulfilling their work and home obligations. According to Northeastern’s website, students spend an average of 15 to 20 hours a week studying and on online discussions, individual assignments and team projects.
If you want to apply for one of Northeastern’s MBA program, you must be able to provide the following items:
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- GPA score of 3.0 or higher on a scale of 4.0.
- All official transcripts of prior undergraduate and/or graduate work reflecting degree conferred by an accredited institution (International transcripts must be translated and include a WES or CED evaluation).
- Currently employed with five (5) years of demonstrated professional experience in participation and leadership of work teams, financial and/or budgetary responsibility, and management of staff in a direct reporting relationship.*
- Current resume
- Candidates whose undergraduate instruction was not conducted in English need to submit official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE academic scores. Minimum score = 100 and we only accept the internet based test (iBT).
- Two (2) letters of professional recommendation (cannot be from friends and/or relatives).
- Application essay
- Non-refundable $100 application fee
*Candidates who do not meet the minimum work requirements, but are approaching five (5) years of professional work experience, may still apply. In these cases, supplemental documentation, such as official GMAT test scores, official professional designations or certifications may help to strengthen an application portfolio.
Tuition and Financial Aid
An online MBA program from Northeastern costs approximately $75,650 which consists of 50 semester credit hours, or 17 courses, with a price tag of $1,513 per credit hour, according to the school’s given information in 2017. There are a number of financing options available to qualified students, including subsidized and unsubsidized federal loans, private education loans, employer-sponsored tuition assistance, and an annual installment payment plan.
Why Northeastern University?
Northeastern’s business school is accredited by AACSB International, the highest standard of business school accreditation worldwide. The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching classifies Northeastern as an institution with high research activity, the highest designation for Tier 1 research universities. Northeastern’s graduate school of business administration appears on U.S. News & World Report’s list of “Best Business Graduate Schools” and BusinessWeek’s list of top full-time MBA programs.
An online education from Northeastern offers the same high quality education as an on-campus one, as traditional programs have been adapted to be delivered to students in an interactive, innovative format. Online MBA programs are taught by prominent scholars and business leaders who are specially trained to work in the online environment. Online students will benefit greatly from Northeastern’s distance learning team designed to support students during their MBA experience. Along with faculty, this team consists of small group instructors, student advisers, admissions advisers and a technical support team. Northeastern strives to keep virtual class sizes small, 12 to 15 students, to ensure each student receives individual attention and is able to be a part of an engaging, supportive and challenging learning community. Educational resources, such as an online library and resource center, are easily accessible and available 24/7 so that students can work on courses whenever their schedule allows. Northeastern also works to make sure students receive timely responses from professors and program managers concerning any questions or requests.
Online MBA Programs in Massachusetts | Online MBA Programs in the United States | Schools: Online MBA Profiles | Guide: Getting Started With Your MBA | Database: Search Top Online MBA Programs | Research: MBA Concentrations | Video: One Minute MBA