Campus: Collegedale, Tennessee
Type: Private, Faith-Based
Base Program Cost: $19,800
Per Credit Hour: $550
Minimum Credit Hours: 36
GMAT Required: Yes
Minimum Time Commitment: 24 months
Concentrations Available Online: Generalist/Electives, Healthcare
On Campus Requirements: No
Southern Adventist University is a faith-based institution dedicated to being a learning community that nurtures and encourages Christian principles in truth, wholeness, and service. Coupling business education with integrated faith and learning, as well as academic and professional excellence, Southern Adventist University’s online MBA program creates a dynamic environment for students.
Since 1892 when the first enrollment took place (23 students), Southern Adventist University has grown in numbers and size dramatically. In the fall of 2010, more than 3,000 students enrolled at SAU. Over the years, the university has received several recognitions, honors, and grants marking their success and achievements.
The Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools as well as the Accrediting Association of Seventh-day Adventist Schools, Colleges, and Universities have both accredited SAU. Additionally, SAU is a member of the Association of American Colleges, the American Council on Education, the Tennessee College Association, and the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education. SAU has received specialized accreditation for their School of Business Management by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
Seeking to provide students the opportunity to access their faith-based learning experience from wherever they are, Southern Adventist University has made an online MBA possible. Utilizing multi-media collaboration technology, live video conferencing, and weekly interaction, the professors at SAU are able to provide frequent interaction and feedback with students throughout the degree program. The master of business administration program is comprised of 36 hours of courses (12 of which are specific to the MBA concentration) that can be completed entirely online over the course of two years.
SAU offers two different concentrations for their online MBA program:
- Health Care Administration
Not only does Southern Adventist University provide quality academic preparation and a thorough working knowledge of the degree to students, but they also base the program on a sound Christian business philosophy that guides and directs students through the complex, dynamic, and ever-changing business environment.
The following criterion (along with a non-refundable $25 fee for online applications and a graduate application) must be met in order to be considered for admission by Southern Adventist University:
- Official transcripts from the accredited college or university the student obtained the bachelor’s degree from must be sent to SAU
- Transcript must prove the student had an undergraduate Grade Point Average (GPA) of no less than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- GMAT score taken within the last five years must be submitted according to the following formula (GPA x 200 + GMAT score if greater than 1000). If an applicant has a cumulative GPA of 3.25 for their Bachelor’s degree (from an accredited U.S. Institution), they may be admitted without a GMAT score.
- International Students are required to submit a GMAT score.
- Two recommendation letters are required by SAU as well.
Tuition and Financial Aid
The total cost of an online MBA from Southern Adventist University is $19,800; for 36 credit hours total, this breaks down to $550 per credit hour.
SAU accepts financial aid in several formats:
- FAFSA – Federal student aid
- Tax Credits – Lifetime Learning Credit applicants may receive up to $2,000 per student
- Southern Scholarships – Limited scholarships but there are a few specific to the school of Business and Management
- Employee programs – designed to help employees obtain higher levels of education
- Graduate Assistant Programs – Students not currently employed may work their way through graduate school
Online students can access several helpful features on Southern Adventist University website. Some of these features include logging in to view the student’s courses, taking Eclass tutorials, and accessing McKee Library. The online campus office is available for general and class specific questions during normal business hours Monday through Thursday and until noon on Friday. SAU also provides technical support during similar business hours to help students with programs such as Adobe Connect and Eclass.
Online MBA Programs in Tennessee | Online MBA Programs in the United States | Schools: Online MBA Profiles | Guide: Getting Started With Your MBA | Database: Search Top Online MBA Programs | Research: MBA Concentrations | Video: One Minute MBA