Campus: Oswego, New York
Base Program Cost (NR): $27,468
Per Credit Hour (NR): $763 (Includes fees)
Base Program Cost (R): $16,704
Per Credit Hour (R): $464 (Includes fees)
Minimum Credit Hours: 36
GMAT Required: Yes
Minimum Time Commitment: 12 months
Online Concentrations: Generalist/Electives
On Campus Requirements: No
Founded in 1861, the State University of New York (SUNY) at Oswego is one of 13 university colleges included in the SUNY system and has over 8,200 students enrolled in over 110 degree programs. U.S. News & World Report has ranked SUNY Oswego among the Top Regional Universities in the North for 2012, partly based on the degree programs they offer. This includes the recent adaption of their MBA program to include online classes. Recognizing the need working adults have for flexibility in order to obtain a master’s degree, Oswego has developed an online MBA program that meets that need while still providing a high-quality education.
The mission of the School of Business at Oswego is to give students an education that prepares them to become competent, ethical professionals. This goal begins with a team of dedicated individuals who collect scholarly research to advance knowledge and contribute to learning, business practices, and related disciplines. The findings also serve as a resource for the local, regional, and global community. Oswego strives to build a reputation based on their quality programs, service to students, and how they teach excellence. This in turn will provide them the opportunity to become a renowned and acclaimed business school within the state university system.
The Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of College and Schools has accredited SUNY Oswego to award all degree programs, including associates, bachelors, and masters. Oswego has received specialized accreditation for their School of Business and MBA program through the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
SUNY Oswego offers their MBA program online for the adults who might be working full time or supporting a family and/or busy lifestyle, but who still desire to take their education one step further to benefit their career goals. The flexible program designed by Oswego is affordable, yet comprehensive. Oswego takes a learner-centered approach to the degree program and stresses high-quality education.
Five different areas of study-focus are offered by Oswego’s MBA program. All five of them are built on 36 credit hours of core course work and electives and include concepts of accepted management skills, concepts and principles. Upon entering the online MBA program, students will be assigned an advisor who works with them to determine the best approach to the program of study. The degree will establish a strong foundation and comprehensive study of business for those currently in a management position or seeking to reach that position.
It is important to note that while the program can be completed entirely online, the schedule will differ somewhat from the traditional schedule for on-campus students. The core classes are available online only during certain semesters and the advisor will have to work with each student to best structure their schedule around this format.
Students seeking to enroll in the online MBA program through SUNY Oswego must have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution prior to applying for admission with a minimum undergraduate Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.6 and a minimum score of 500 on the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT). Applicants must submit two recommendation letters from references, along with official transcripts from the school that awarded the bachelor’s degree and examination reports.
Steps for submitting an application (in addition to the meeting the requirements listed above) are as follows:
1. Complete an application (part I and II) including a personal goals statement that also outlines prior related experience and future plans
2. Submit all required documentation and forms (transcripts, applicable graduate-level course work, and unopened letters of references)
3. Submit official scores (GMAT and TOEFL if applicable)
Tuition and Financial Aid
SUNY Oswego charges a flat rate per credit hour for the online MBA courses. At $763 per credit hour (out-of-state residents), the entire 36 credit hour program base cost is $27,468. This does not include extra costs associated with admissions, transcript requests, and other miscellaneous costs.
To help make the cost of tuition lower for graduate students, Oswego provides the potential for financial aid through these options:
- Assistantships – Oswego offers over 100 graduate assistantships.
- Fellowships – currently offering 2 fellowships: the Graduate Diversity Fellowship and the Festa Graduate Leadership Fellowship.
- The American Association of Hispanics in Higher Education – now accepting applications for the Graduate Student Fellowship Program.
- Graduate Tuition Scholarship Opportunity Programs (GOP, SEEK, HEOP) – these do not require repayment. Students must meet certain criteria to be eligible.
- Grants – Students will find that grants for graduate students are more likely to originate with organizations that are looking for students in a particular area of study.
- Scholarships – Oswego offers a small number of competitive scholarships. Students should consider also looking into externally funded scholarships.
- Veterans – there have been many changes to benefits for veterans attending Oswego. Their Veterans’ Office can help students with any questions or concerns they have.
Students currently enrolled in the online MBA program at SUNY Oswego have recommended a list of resources that they have found useful during their studies. These include the academic calendar, career services, course catalogs, the online library, MyOswego, SUNY Learning Network, the college bookstore, and more. These resources will direct new students through the processes associated with online course work such as class schedules, submitting assignments, conversing with classmates and professors, and finding and using research materials.
Online MBA Programs in New York | Online MBA Programs in the United States | Schools: Online MBA Profiles | Guide: Getting Started With Your MBA | Database: Search Top Online MBA Programs | Research: MBA Concentrations | Video: One Minute MBA