Marketing on social media sites, such as Facebook and Twitter, is a relatively new development in Internet marketing. Given how frequently these sites are used by millions of people, they have become effective marketing and public relations tools. An online MBA in social media marketing is designed to give students the training they need to plan and carry out successful social media campaigns, use market research to improve products or services, and target messaging to specific audiences.
What Does an MBA in Social Media Marketing Cover?
An MBA in social media marketing features study in the different types of social media and how to integrate social media into marketing campaigns. Courses in this program may include social media marketing strategy and social media marketing campaigns. A social media marketing strategy course teaches students how to develop and implement a social media marketing campaign and how to measure its effectiveness. The social media marketing campaigns course offers instruction on how to use the appropriate social media tools to meet an organization’s marketing goals. It focuses on understanding the audience, objectives of the campaign, tactics, tools, and metrics as a means of evaluation.
Students in a social media marketing MBA program are also required to take core business courses, such as managerial accounting, marketing strategies, and financial management. These courses are important because anyone working as a marketer needs to understand how businesses operate. In many cases a social media marketing program only differs from other MBA programs in the specialization courses that students are required to take.
Getting Into a Social Media Marketing MBA Program
Applicants typically need to submit an admissions application and all relevant transcripts and pay an application fee. Some schools may require students send in a personal letter, resume, or letters of recommendation. Students may also need to participate in an admissions interview with a member of the university’s faculty.
- Admissions Application
- GRE or GMAT scores
- Personal Essay or letters of recommendation
Why Should I Get an AACSB Accredited Social Media Marketing MBA?
If you’re thinking about enrolling in any college, including those that offer online programs, an important step to determining if it’s the right place for you is to see if it is accredited. Regional and national organizations offer institutional accreditation, but business programs are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB accreditation is a boon to any academic program because it demonstrates that it is reputable and it offers high-quality training. It also shows employers that a graduate from an AACSB-accredited program has the knowledge and skills they need to perform their jobs competently. The AACSB accredits more than 650 undergraduate and graduate programs; you can find a list of accredited schools on the organization’s website.
Who Should Pursue a Social Media Marketing MBA?
Social media marketing is becoming an increasingly important part of a business’ marketing operations. It allows businesses to maintain a closer relationship with its consumers while also using their followers to gauge the effectiveness of marketing campaigns. As such, professionals who know how to develop and implement successful social media campaigns will be an asset to a company’s marketing department. An online social media marketing MBA also features core business courses that will develop a student’s understanding of economics, accounting, and financial management.
What Jobs Can an MBA Social Media Marketing Online Get Me?
- Marketing Manager: An MBA in social media marketing may prepare you for a career as a marketing manager. Marketing managers collaborate with other staffers to plan marketing campaigns, determine the medium, and analyze market research studies and analytics to determine the effectiveness of a campaign. Workers in this occupation earned an average annual salary of $126,190 in May 2011, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS reports that competition for marketing management jobs will be strong, but those who are well-versed in internet-based advertising should have a leg up on the competition. Overall growth in employment of marketing managers is expected to be 14%, or about as fast as average for all occupations, from 2010 to 2020, according to the BLS.
- Marketing Director: Marketing directors plan and oversee the implementation of marketing strategies; adjust these strategies to changes in the market; and oversee staff, budget, and operations. These professionals are employed at healthcare facilities, marketing firms, software companies, and financial services organizations. Marketing directors earn a median annual salary of $78,334, according to PayScale.com. Keep in mind these statistics are no guarantee of pay or availability of employment, which is determined by location, employer, the state of the economy, and an applicant’s credentials and experience.
Top Earning Industries for Jobs
- Financial Services: $30,675-$65,909
- Marketing Communications: $29,117-$63,431
- Insurance Carrier: $32,847-$66,322
- Computer Hardware/Software: $32,041-$64,973
- Marketing, Advertising, and Media Management: $38,000-$66,000
- Manufacturing: $40,695-$58,958
How Do I Find Online Social Media Marketing MBA Programs?
MBA programs in social media marketing are relatively new, which means that there aren’t many schools that offer them yet. However, to get an idea of what the best MBA programs are you can use the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges report, which ranks the best online graduate business programs. You can also search for online social media marketing MBA programs on your preferred search engine.