An online MBA in supply chain management teaches students about the inner workings of a company’s inventory. Students will learn about the process of moving and storing raw materials through the purchasing, production and delivery stages. They’ll also be trained in supply chain management practices and business principles. A major focus of the online Supply Chain Management program is inventory cost reduction. This is especially important in the supply chain because managers need to be able to control inventory costs while eliminating waste. Students will develop the skills needed to manage a supply chain and the individuals who work within it.
What Does an MBA in Supply Chain Management Cover?
An MBA in supply chain management is a business degree concentration that teaches students how to oversee the production of raw materials into consumer products. Online Supply Chain Management MBA schools give students the option of completing a full or part-time program within one to two years or longer. An online Supply Chain Management program will provide general MBA course work and classes that are specific to supply chain management. During the program, students will closely study the supply chain processes of purchasing, production and distribution of goods from supplier to consumer. They will also learn about the professional roles that contribute to supply chain activities. At the end of the program, students will know how to plan every step in the chain of activities such as sourcing, procurement, conversion, logistics management and marketing. Much of the program also focuses on managing company inventory to achieve optimal success. Students will learn how to control and reduce inventory costs while eliminating waste during the production process. They will develop important analytical and negotiating skills.
Getting Into a Supply Chain Management MBA Program
Applicants will need to have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited school. A business bachelor’s degree is not necessary but those students who majored in something else should make sure that they have mastered basic business and mathematical skills before applying. Those who did not earn a bachelor’s degree in business may be asked to complete several courses before submitting an application, including:
- College Algebra
- Foundations of Business
- Business Law and Ethics
A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 is typically necessary for entry and some schools also require letters of recommendation, application essays, GMAT scores and resumes.
What Jobs Can an MBA Supply Chain Management Online Get Me?
- Supply Chain Manager: These professionals manage the various components of the supply chain from acquisitions to distribution. They handle the buying of raw materials as well as the delivery of the finished product. They actively seek out quality materials for low costs to increase profit margins, and many also develop networking events to promote the company or specific products. In addition to finding the raw materials to make products as well as people to sell them to, supply chain managers set up transportation and shipping. They have a hand in every facet of production.
- Project Manager: These managers are in charge of an organization’s project—either a large-scale one, such as the complete reorganization of a company’s structure, or a small-scale one, such as pitching ideas for a new product. They are expected to delegate responsibilities in an efficient manner that will ensure a project’s timely and accurate completion. They regularly report back to their supervisors on the progress of the project and are responsible for handling any issues that may come up between the time of the project’s initiation and its completion.
- Director of Operations: A director of operations supervises other upper-management employees as well as mid-level management employees to ensure that the daily routine of the company is running smoothly. They manage the company’s budget, ensure that every employee is working and compensated, and tackle any issues that may come up. Most directors of operations handle a variety of departments within a company, including human resources, research and development, marketing and sales, and technology. They maintain the cohesion of the company’s various departments and guide the business toward the goals set by the CEO and board of directors.
Top Earning Industries for Jobs
- Electronics Manufacturing: $78,560-$108,743
- Aerospace and Defense: $77,270-$103,146
- Financial Services: $100,253
- IT Consulting: $99,739
- Information Technology Services: $90,000-$131,166
- Manufacturing and Distribution: $61,000-$115,000
Why Should I Get an AACSB Accredited Online Supply Chain Management MBA?
To find good online Supply Chain Management MBA programs, check out the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) website. Under the “AACSB-accredited institutions” tab you’ll find a comprehensive list of schools that have been recognized by this nonprofit organization for their business and accounting programs. Accreditation can determine the quality of your education and your future job opportunities because employers don’t always recognize non-accredited degrees and schools may not accept those course credits. Some of the biggest and best universities in the world can be found on this list.
How Do I Find Online Supply Chain Management MBA Programs?
For rankings of online Supply Chain Management MBA programs, check out:
- U.S. News & World Report
- Bloomberg Businessweek
- The Princeton Review
- The Economist
- Financial Times