Students who earn an online MBA in Healthcare Management are taught the management skills and concepts they will need to excel in top positions in the health care industry.
What Does an Online Health Care Management MBA Cover?
In this program, students will learn about the finances, organization, databases and infrastructure of health care systems. Students are taught how to effectively exercise leadership, make critical decisions and apply business principles to medical organizations. This includes the thorough study and analysis of the policies, regulations and compliance issues within the health care industry. Students enrolled in such MBA programs will also explore legal and ethical issues within the health care industry. Students will undertake research to propose solutions to real-life situations. Courses may include: Health Care Policy and Regulations, Health Care Economics, Health Care Law, Health Care Risk Management, Global Issues in Health Care Management and Health Care Informatics.
Getting Into an Online Health Care Management MBA Program
Those who want to enroll in an online Health Care Management MBA program will need a bachelor’s degree from an accredited school. The undergraduate degree could have been earned in any field, but students should possess a strong understanding of algebra-level mathematics. Before applying, those who did not earn a degree in a business field may need to complete courses in algebra and calculus. Most schools will require students to have had a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.0, though some programs, such as at the University of Phoenix, have higher standards. In addition to these prerequisites, students should be prepared to submit the following documents along with their completed application:
- college transcript
- proof of GMAT scores
- resume detailing work experience
- essays following provided prompt
- letter of program intent
Some programs, such as the University of Phoenix’s online Health Care Management MBA program, will require that applicants be employed so that they may immediately apply their newly acquired skills to the workplace.
Why Should I Get an AACSB Accredited Health Care Management MBA?
Make sure the business school you select is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The AACSB is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to advancing quality management education and serves as an accreditor for undergraduate, master’s and doctoral programs in business and accounting. With accreditation from the AACSB, you will know that you have chosen a reputable MBA program that will challenge you and you will earn a degree that is respected in the job market. Many employers will not hire job candidates who possess a degree from a school that is not accredited.
What Jobs Can an Online Health Care Management MBA Get Me?
- Hospital Administrator: This type of administrator generally oversees the functioning of various departments and organizations within a hospital to ensure that they run properly. They act as liaisons to governing boards and are responsible for recruiting, hiring and training new staffers. Within smaller health care organizations, these types of administrators are responsible for the day-to-day operations of the entire facility, while those working in larger organizations tend to be in charge of activities within a single area.
- Health Care Consultant: Health care consultants develop and present strategies for clients in pharmaceutical, biotech and medical fields with the goal of improving performance. This is done through researching policies and procedures in place and creating and implementing new strategies to improve business procedures, patient care, medical matters and product development. These types of consultants often work with firms that help health care organizations increase their profits, implement better management systems and improve physician and patient satisfaction.
- Private Practice Manager: These professionals manage physicians offices. This may include supervising a staff of nurses and administrative assistants, working with other business personnel, corresponding with insurance companies and government offices to ensure reimbursements are handled properly, and overseeing all aspects of the organization so that it runs efficiently and in compliance with health care regulations.
Top Earning Industries for Jobs
- Orthopedic Surgery: $50,868-$181,788
- Acute Care Hospital: $82,472-$152,605
- Health Information Technology Services: $52,021-$89,181
- Health Insurance: $50,324-$86,782
- Medical Office: $44,599-$68,027
- Health Care: $45,333-$66,514
How Do I Find Online Health Care Management MBA Programs?
Finding out an MBA program’s ranking is important, and many school sites as well as news sources and books can provide that information. The Princeton Review has a useful tool for business school rankings.