This MBA program will not only provide you with an interdisciplinary business education but it will teach you the most essential aspects of leadership within the business world. These types of programs integrate business practices with the study of the characteristics behind organizational leadership. An online MBA in leadership focuses on the disciplines of management, finance, accounting and marketing and how they are utilized to conduct business. It also examines the theories and methods of professional communication, team building and conflict resolution.
What Does an MBA in Leadership Cover?
It takes more than just an impressive title and office with a nice view to lead a company. One of the newest specializations popping up in degree programs at business schools across the country is leadership. Rather than being just an area of personal development, leadership qualities are essential to motivate employees and direct their efforts in ways that will ensure a profitable company. Instead of learning what it takes to be a good leader through years of trial and error, students these days can avoid detrimental mistakes and equip themselves with the necessary skills by earning an online Leadership MBA.
A MBA in leadership is a graduate program that focuses on how good leadership leads to successful business. You will get the same education as you would in a traditional MBA program, but with the added benefit of curriculum in leadership. Online Leadership MBA programs are not simply for personal enrichment. Rather you will learn about leadership dynamics through various assignments, projects, reports and presentations. This type of course work is meant to help you learn the best ways to direct an organization, inspire vision, influence groups and motivate employees.
Most online Leadership MBA programs require students to complete 48 to 51 credits and take from one to three years to finish depending on previous education, business course work and enrollment status. When you begin the program you will take foundational courses such as operations management, business strategy and planning, financial modeling, integrative marketing strategies, statistical thinking, and financial principles and policy. These courses are meant to help you understand how businesses operate as well as how to apply critical thinking and analytical skills in a business environment.
During the second half of the online Leadership MBA program you will take advanced classes that focus on the role of leadership in a work environment and how it stimulates productivity and profitability. Course titles may include corporate strategic leadership, systems thinking, organizational dynamics, human capital, systems of leadership, conflict style inventory, talent identification and management, individual development planning and knowledge-based decision making.
Getting Into a Leadership MBA Program
Those interested in enrolling in an online Leadership MBA program will need a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. The degree can be in anything, but to prepare for the rigors of an MBA program, undergraduate students should take classes in business theory, management basics, introduction to finance and introduction to accounting. Applicants should have a minimum GPA of 2.0 for their undergraduate studies, though some schools may have higher standards. Students should also be prepared to submit letters of recommendation, a resume detailing their work experience and GMAT scores. For example, Walden University mandates that all applicants submit test scores, resumes and statements of intent.
Who Should Pursue an Online Leadership MBA?
People who have a strong interest in business management and a desire to acquire a position of leadership may want to consider earning a Leadership MBA degree. This degree will give you the credentials you need to qualify for high-level jobs and the skills required to make a significant difference in the areas of directing, managing and consulting.
Why Should I Get an AACSB Accredited Leadership MBA?
The highest quality online Leadership MBA programs are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. If you want an education that is not only impressive but will help you quickly climb the corporate ladder, you should get an AACSB accredited online Leadership MBA.
What Jobs Can an Online Leadership MBA Get Me?
- CEO (Chief Executive Officer): The head of the company, the CEO establishes the goals and policies of a company. The CEO meets regularly with other top executives to ensure that the company is moving in the right direction and that its board of directors is satisfied. Most CEOs also have a hand in monitoring the company’s budget and making sure that it is being utilized to its full extent. In larger companies, CEOs may delegate some of their responsibilities to other high- or mid-level executives and managers, while in smaller companies, CEOs may take on all of these roles as well as some other management-related ones.
- General and Operations Manager: These managers are responsible for planning and coordinating the company’s operations. They work with top executives and mid-level managers to create policies, deal with day-to-day activities and plan how to structure departments. Most of these managers deal broadly with all branches of a company rather than just working in one division. This way, they can coordinate all departments to better help the company meet its goals.
- Sales Manager: Most sales managers work with retail companies and can be in charge of an entire region. These managers oversee sales employees and ensure that their branch is meeting the quota set by the company headquarters. Sales managers work closely with teams to ensure that customers are receiving good service and products. Many also devise ways to increase sales through promotions or advertising. In large companies, sales managers can tackle budgeting and employee reviews and training, while at smaller firms, they may conduct sales calls themselves in addition to their other responsibilities.
Top Earning Industries for Jobs
- Software Applications: $122,524-$251,611
- Retail/Wholesale Distribution: $91,422-$244,936
- Manufacturing and Distribution: $53,072-$94,542
- Construction: $52,060-$91,762
- Chemical Manufacturing: $66,384-$100,901
- Food Manufacturing: $60,099-$95,719
How Do I Find Online Leadership MBA Programs?
You should make sure the program you select is accredited, ranked and fits your personal preferences. To explore rankings, check out:
- U.S. News & World Report
All of these publish annual rankings of the top rated colleges and universities. Online leadership MBA rankings are commonly based on factors such as student selectivity, academic quality, student-to-faculty ratio, graduation rate and post-graduation outcome.
These tools can be helpful too in searching for an online Leadership MBA program: