These degree programs teach students about the systems that make up the health care industry, how to manage facilities and the impact of legal and political issues on the field.
What Does an MBA in Health Care Administration Cover?
These MBAs aim to give students a solid background in and extensive knowledge of business while also focusing on the specializations within health care administration. An online MBA in health care administration teach students how to handle economic, regulatory, ethical, social, political and legal demands associated with working in the health care industry. This degree program also shows students how finances, operations and marketing activities pertain to the health care industry. Graduates of online MBA in health care administration programs will know how to analyze economic, statistical and quantitative information to make sound business decisions, practice financial management, and effectively identify and address legal and ethical issues that arise in health care. Health care specific courses may include: Health Care Structure, Organization and Governance; Public Health Organization and Management; Health Policy; Financial Management of Health Care Organizations; and Quality Performance and Management.
Getting Into a Health Care Administration MBA Program
Students who desire to enroll in an online MBA in health care administration program will need to have a bachelor’s degree (in any major) from an accredited institution. Students do not necessarily need to have any experience in business or health care, though taking some courses in hospital law and ethics as well as a course in the foundations of business before applying can help increase chances of admission. Applicants should also have a minimum GPA of 2.0, as is the case with Ashford University. Those with a lower GPA sometimes may submit satisfactory GMAT or GRE scores. Some schools may mandate that additional forms be submitted, such as:
- letters of recommendation
- essays of program intent that follow provided prompts
- resume detailing work experience
Why Should I Get an AACSB Accredited Health Care Administration MBA?
Make sure the business school you select is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The AACSB is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to advancing quality management education and serves as an accreditor for undergraduate, master’s and doctoral programs in business and accounting. With accreditation from the AACSB, you will know that you have chosen a reputable MBA program that will challenge you and you will earn a degree that is respected in the job market. Many employers will not hire job candidates who possess a degree from a school that is not accredited.
What Jobs Can an Online MBA in Health Care Administration Get Me?
- Hospital Administrators: These professionals oversee the various departments in a hospital to ensure that they run smoothly and effectively. They act as liaisons to governing boards, assist divisions of the hospital to work together as a team, and are responsible for the recruitment and hiring efforts of staffers including doctors, nurses, interns and other workers needed in hospitals. Administrators working at smaller hospitals generally are responsible for the day-to-day operations of the entire facility, while those employed at larger hospitals most often are in charge of activities within one department.
- Medical and Health Services Managers: The duties of medical and health services managers include the planning, directing, coordinating and supervising of the delivery of health care services. This can include daily operations, technological innovations, managing staff and working as part of a team. Medical and health services managers are employed in hospitals, physicians offices and nursing and residential care facilities.
- Health Care Finance Managers: These managers oversee all aspects of finances for hospitals and other medical facilities including daily financial operations, contract reviews, budgets, financial reporting and analysis. They are also responsible for ensuring health care organizations are in compliance with tax and legal regulations. Given the nature of their work, these types of managers must stay up to date on issues related to health care financing.
Top Earning Industries for Jobs
- Orthopedic Surgery: $50,868-$181,788
- Acute Care Hospital: $82,472-$152,605
- Medical Services: $42,645-$85,200
- Hospital: $32,552-$56,689
Health Care Finance Manager:
How Do I Find Online Health Care Administration MBA Programs?
Students interested in enrolling in highly regarded programs can search school ranking sites, news sources and websites.