Are you ready to discover your college program?
Based in the nation's capital of Washington, D.C., George Washington University uses its prime location to connect students to over 12,000 internship opportunities. The university's campus is just a short walk from some of the most important private and public organizations, including the World Bank and the White House. Created in 1821 through an act of Congress, GW now teaches over 26,000 students. GW offers degrees at all levels and is known for its business, health sciences, international affairs, and liberal arts programs.
- Location: Washington, DC
- Receiving Financial Aid: 72%
- School Type: Private
- Student-To-Faculty Ratio: 13:1
- Online Student Population: 10,657
- Master of Business Administration
- Healthcare MBA
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
Due in large part to GW's location, many of the university's alumni succeed in political roles. Other alumni find success in entertainment, athletics, science, the military, and nonprofit leadership. Notable alumni include U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren; Major General Nadja West, Army Surgeon General and Commanding General of the U.S. Army Medical Command; and actor, writer, producer, and comedian Alec Baldwin.
About Washington, D.C.
Washington, D.C., is the capital of the United States. The district is home to an estimated 702,455 people and rests on the banks of the Potomac River between Virginia and Maryland. Washington, D.C., is a hub for various businesses, nonprofits, and government agencies, including Congress, Lockheed Martin, Capital One, the Fair Labor Association, and Marriott International.
GW offers two MBA options: a healthcare MBA and a regular MBA. The university offers both options entirely online in a part-time format. Both MBA programs leverage the school's location to help learners find public and private positions in the region. Online learners complete 6 credits each semester, including during summer sessions. GW also offers in-person experiential learning opportunities for all students, regardless of where they live.
- Graduation Rate: 82% (bachelor's programs)
- Retention Rate: 93% (bachelor's programs)
- Format: 100% online
- Instruction Style: Mostly asynchronous
Online MBA Facts
- Online MBA Programmatic Accreditation: AACSB
- Online MBA Credit Requirements: 46.5 credits
- Online MBA Program Length: 3 years
Online MBA Concentrations
With a main campus located just four blocks from the White House, students enjoy immediate access to major sites of the nation's history. Athletics play an important role in student life, and learners can compete in intramural sports. Students can also engage in various clubs and associations hosted on the Foggy Bottom campus, Mount Vernon campus, and Virginia campuses. While most activities require learners to show up in person, online students receive a GWorld card that gives them GW community benefits.
- Total Enrollment: 27,814
- Undergrad Enrollment: 12,031
- Graduate Enrollment: 15,205
- Athletic Association: NCAA Division I
- Female: 60.7%
- Male: 39.3%
- Undergraduates: 12,031
- Graduates: 15,205" colo
- Total Students: 27,814
Online Clubs and Organizations
- Business Gives Back (on campus)
- GW MBA Business Analytics Club (on campus)
- Graduate Finance Society (on campus)
Prospective online MBA students must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and submit a current resume, a letter of recommendation, a personal essay, and test scores. Because the online MBA is a part-time program, GW encourages applicants to continue working while earning their degree. However, GW does not require work experience for admission to the MBA program. The university waives the application fee for GW alumni.
Online MBA Admission
- GMAT or GRE Required for Online MBA: Yes
- Online MBA Application Deadline: Fall: May 15 | Summer: May 1
- Online MBA Application Fee: $80
Transfer Student Admission
- Maximum Transferable Credits: 6
International Student Admission
- TOEFL Required for Online MBA: Yes
- Minimum TOEFL Test Score: 80 (internet-based test) | 550 (paper-based test)
- Application Fee: $80
Cost & Financial Aid
GW charges the same tuition rate to all online MBA students regardless of their location. This per-credit tuition rate does not include the enrollment fee, a one-time fee charged based on how many credits students complete. Online students enjoy access to financial aid opportunities, including assistantships and fellowships. Additionally, some employers may sponsor students' online MBA.
- Online MBA Cost per Credit: $2,215
Net Price Calculator
Use this calculator to make an early estimate of your total annual cost of attending GW. It is designed to estimate costs and eligibility for financial aid.
Notable Grants and Scholarships
- GW School of Business Fellowships (amount varies)
- Leo and Lillian Goodwin Endowment Scholarship (amount varies)
- J. Willard Marriott Foundation Scholarship (amount varies)
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is George Washington University located?
George Washington University is located in Washington, D.C.
What is George Washington University known for?
George Washington University is known for its graduate programs, including its MBA.
How do I get into George Washington University?
George Washington University features competitive admissions, so applicants should have a strong GPA and test scores.
How much is tuition at George Washington University?
George Washington University charges $2,215 per credit for the online MBA program.
Search Programs by Concentration
View schools and degrees from across the country.
Find the right program to advance your career.