American University Online MBA Programs
Published March 29, 2022 | OnlineMBA.com Staff
Are you ready to discover your MBA program?
Chartered in 1893 by Congress, American University is a United Methodist-affiliated private research institution located in Washington, D.C. The school boasts more than 170 programs across eight schools, including 71 bachelor’s, 87 master’s, and 10 doctoral degrees. The university features a diverse student body, comprising over 14,000 learners, including 4,275 graduate students. It offers strong political and business programs, along with personalized curricula, experiential learning opportunities, and study-abroad programs. American University’s faculty include policymakers, diplomats, scientists, and business leaders.
- Location: Washington, DC
- Receiving Financial Aid: 56%
- School Type: Private
- Student-To-Faculty Ratio: 12:1
- Online Student Population: More than 500
- Online Master of Business Management
- Online Master of Science in Agile Project Management
- Online Master of Arts in Economics
- Online Master of Science in Human Resource Analytics and Management
- Online Master of Science in International Relations
American University boasts notable alumni, including politicians, journalists, and business leaders. Among these alumni include former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Paul Ryan; U.S. Senator Robert Byrd; and CNN political analyst David Gregory.
About Washington, D.C.
Washington, D.C., sits on the Potomac River between Maryland and Virginia. The nation’s capital, Washington, D.C., is home to the federal government, the White House, and the Supreme Court. The city also houses the Washington Monument, the Library of Congress, and the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial. George Washington selected the city as capital of the United States.
American University offers an online MBA through its Kogod School of Business. Students in this program hone strategic management and communication skills through a range of business courses in areas like financial management, management of organization and human capital, and strategic thinking for decisions. The program offers six concentrations: business analytics, finance, consulting, cybersecurity, marketing, and legal studies.
- Graduation Rate: 79%
- Retention Rate: 89%
- Format: Hybrid; online courses plus two in-person immersions
- Instruction Style: Synchronous
Online MBA Facts
- Online MBA Programmatic Accreditation: AACSB
- Online MBA Credit Requirements: 48
- Online MBA Program Length: 1-2 years
Online MBA Concentrations
American University offers a variety of clubs and organizations for business students, including Kogod Women in Business and the Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization. Many clubs call for members to meet on campus, but online learners can contact organizations of interest to ask about online memberships. Online students also enjoy access to mentors, advisors, career services, and the university library.
- Total Enrollment: 14,311
- Undergrad Enrollment: 7,441
- Graduate Enrollment: 4,275
- Athletic Association: NCAA I
- Female: 62%
- Male: 38%
- Undergraduates: 7,441
- Graduates: 4,275
- Total Students: 14,311
Online Clubs and Organizations
- Graduate Business Association
- Accounting Club
- American Marketing Association
- Black MBA Association
- Hispanic Business Association
The Kogod School of Business at American University seeks candidates with strong potential to become global business leaders. Online MBA applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and submit a personal statement answering two essay prompts, a current resume, two letters of recommendation, and official transcripts. The university does not require GRE/GMAT scores, but candidates may choose to submit them. The university offers rolling admission.
Online MBA Admission
- GMAT Required for Online MBA: No
- Acceptance Rate: 42%
- Online MBA Application Deadline: May 18, 2020 (summer) | Aug. 17, 2020 (fall)
- Online MBA Application Fee: $100
International Student Admission
- TOEFL Required for Online MBA: Yes
- Minimum TOEFL Test Score: 100 IBT | IELTS 7.0 | PTE 68
- Application Fee: $100
Cost & Financial Aid
American University charges online MBA students tuition on a per-credit-hour basis. The MBA requires 48 credit hours, so tuition costs reach approximately $84,400. Students must also pay a nonrefundable $1,000 enrollment deposit. Online learners in the Kogod School of Business taking at least three credits qualify for federal direct loans. Students should submit the FAFSA each semester to apply for federal financial aid.
- Online MBA Cost per Credit: $1,759
- Students Receiving Financial Aid: 63%
Net Price Calculator
Use this calculator to make an early estimate of your total annual cost of attending American University. It is designed to estimate costs and eligibility for financial aid.
Notable Grants and Scholarships
- Adel Ait-Ghezala Graduate Research Fellowship
- Online Master of Arts in Strategic Communication (up to $10,000)
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is American University located?
American University is located between Virginia and Maryland in the nation's capital, Washington, D.C.
How many students attend American University?
More than 14,000 students attend American University.
What is American University known for?
American University is known for its strong political and business programs.
How do I get into American University?
To gain admission to American University, applicants should work hard and maintain good relationships with former professors and business colleagues.
Search Programs by Concentration
View schools and degrees from across the country.
Find the right program to advance your career.