Howard University Online MBA Programs 2022
Updated June 2, 2022 | OnlineMBA.com Staff
Are you ready to discover your MBA program?
Founded by the First Congregational Society of Washington and federally chartered since 1867, Howard University is a private, historically black university serving over 9,000 students. Howard's urban campus, often called "The Mecca", sits in northwest Washington, D.C., making it an excellent location for studying law, government, and politics.
HU offers academic degrees at all levels and boasts 130 areas of study across 13 schools and colleges. HU's online executive MBA received a third place ranking for MBA programs in Washington, D.C. HU is also known as a top producer of African American medical and law school students.
- Location: Washington, DC
- School Type: Private; historically black university
- Student-To-Faculty Ration: 8:1
Howard boasts many notable alumni, including politicians such as Kamala Harris, Elijah Cummings, and Andrew Young. Many illustrious entertainment professionals, such as Carla Hall, Isaiah Washington, and Phylicia Rashad, also graduated from Howard. Business alumni include Vernon E. Jordan, Malaak Compton-Rock, and Ben Ali.
About Washington, D.C.
Washington, D.C., offers a rich array of cultural, educational, and professional opportunities. The district hosts many museums with free admission, including the National Museum of African American History and Culture, the National Museum of Natural History, the National Air and Space Museum, and the Smithsonian American Art Museum. HU students also benefit from many internship and employment opportunities available in the nation's capital.
Although Howard's first year of cohorts will complete their MBAs without specializations, HU plans to create concentrations in supply chain logistics, finance, marketing, and strategic management.
- Graduation Rate: 61%
- Retention Rate: 88% from first to second year
- Format: 100% online courses, plus a 2-4-day on-campus residency
- Instruction Style: Synchronous and asynchronous
Online MBA Facts
- Online MBA Programmatic Accreditation
- Online MBA Credit Requirements
- Online MBA Program Length
Online MBA Concentrations
The first cohorts (2020-21) will not have the option to specialize, but future concentration options may include:
As HU's first online program, the online MBA does not yet offer clubs and organizations specifically for online students. However, HU's Global Trilateral MBA program offers global consulting projects, international conferences, and study tours for MBA students. HU also features many on-campus student clubs and organizations, including religious organizations such as Baptist Student Ministries and the Wesley Methodist Foundation. HU also boasts an art club, criminal justice association, human resource management club, and a Mexican American Student Organization.
- Total MBA Enrollment: 9,139
- Undergrad Enrollment: 6,243
- Graduate Enrollment: 2,896
- Athletic Association: Howard Bison Athletics
- Female: 44.4%
- Male: 55.6%
- Undergraduates: 6,243
- Graduates: 2,896
- Total Students: 9,139
Clubs and Organizations
- Global Trilateral MBA Program
- Criminal Justice Association (on campus)
- Human Resource Management Club (on campus)
- Wesley Methodist Foundation (on campus)
Online MBA applicants must hold regionally accredited bachelor's degrees, preferably with a minimum 3.0 GPA. They must also submit letters of recommendation, a statement of interest, transcripts, and a resume demonstrating professional work experience. Part-time MBAs need 2 years' relevant professional leadership experience, and executive MBAs need at least 7 years' professional experience with 5 years in management or senior leadership.
Online MBA Admission
- GPA: Recommended 3.0
- GMAT Required for Online MBA: Required for part-time MBA; recommended for executive MBA
- MBA Minimum Standardized Test Scores: GMAT recommended score of 400-530
- MBA Acceptance Rate: 45%
- Online MBA Application Deadline: April 17, 2020, for summer 2020 cohort
- Online MBA Application Fee: Part-time MBA: $123 | Executive MBA: $75. Application fee waived for all 2020 online MBA cohorts.
Transfer Student Admission
- GPA: Minimum recommended 3.0
- Maximum Transferable Credits: Part-time online MBA accepts up to 6 credits from accredited business programs
International Student Admission
- GPA: Minimum recommended 3.0
- TOEFL Required for Online MBA: Yes
- Minimum TOEFL Test Score: 550 on paper-based test or 79 on the internet-based test
- Application Fee: Part-time MBA: $123 | Executive MBA: $75. Application fee waived for all 2020 online MBA cohorts.
Cost & Financial Aid
HU's part-time MBA costs about the same for on-campus and online enrollees, but the online executive MBA costs about $300 less per credit than the online part-time MBA. To help students finance their MBA program, Howard offers 7 research assistantships, 12 teaching assistantships, and 2 fellowships. Other financial aidincludes scholarships, federal grants, Stafford loans, and employer-subsidized payment options.
- Online MBA Cost per Credit: Part-time -- $1,896
Executive MBA -- $1,570
- Receiving Financial Aid: 78%
Net Price Calculator
Use this calculator to make an early estimate of your total annual cost of attending HU. It is designed to estimate costs and eligibility for financial aid.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is Howard University located?
Howard sits in northwest Washington, D.C., on an urban campus near some of the city's best museums.
When was Howard University founded?
Chartered in 1867, soon after the American Civil War, Howard University began as a college of liberal arts and medicine.
Who is Howard University named after?
Howard University takes its name from General Oliver Otis Howard, Civil War hero, Commissioner of the Freedmen's Bureau, and Howard University's first president.
When does Howard University send acceptance letters?
HU sends most acceptance letters by January 30.
Search Programs by Concentration
View schools and degrees from across the country.
Find the right program to advance your career.