By obtaining a top online MBA in acquisition, students can take advantage of a job market for which the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects 7% growth between 2018 and 2028, outpacing the national average for all occupations. Students pursuing this specialty can gain deep knowledge of contract terms and negotiations, plus strong financial management and leadership skills.
Students who begin or bolster their school research with this ranking of top online MBA in acquisition degrees can find a well-researched and vetted list of excellent programs. On this page, readers can also learn more about what an MBA in acquisition requires, including possible career paths and information on how to choose the right MBA program.
Here is Our Pick for the Best Online MBA Program in Acquisitions for 2020:
- Bellevue University - Bellevue, NE
Top Online MBA Programs in Acquisitions for 2020
|Rank||School||Location||Cost||Toggle||Logo||Tuition||% Receiving Financial Aid||Student Population||School Type||Description|
|Location Bellevue , NE||Tuition $$$$$||% Receiving Financial Aid 89||Student Population 9,621||Tuition $21,060||School Type Private||
Founded in 1966, BU offers a 36-credit MBA in acquisition and contract management. Core coursework emphasizes business analytics, accounting, marketing, and organizational management. Students complete nine credit hours of concentration coursework on topics such as business decision-making, legal considerations for contracting, cost analysis, and negotiation techniques.
BU integrates theoretical and practical learning to foster emerging business leaders. Learners must hold a minimum 2.5 GPA in the most recent 60 credit hours of undergraduate coursework or a minimum 3.0 from previous graduate courses. Online learners pay the same tuition per credit as on-campus students.
How We Rank Online MBA Programs
Want to know how we create our rankings? We assess schools based on academic quality, affordability, online flexibility, and student success.
Quality (30% of total score)
|A low student-to-faculty ratio, a wide breadth of specialized MBA programs, and a high retention rate of students returning after their first year are all indicators of a quality university.|
Affordability (10% of total score)
|The amount of financial aid offered factors into a school's net price; this, paired with a low loan default rate, indicates that students may find a school's tuition within their budget.|
Online Flexibility (20% of total score)
|Scores for online flexibility focus on schools that have a high percentage of fully online students, but consideration is also given to schools that enroll partially online students using hybrid programs.|
Student Success (40% of total score)
|Both strong hallmarks of student success, we look for programs with high graduation rates whose students go on to have higher-than-average median earnings.|
What Is an MBA in Acquisitions?
With a focus on regulatory and legal issues, procurement management, and contract negotiation, an MBA concentrating on acquisitions prepares graduates for a variety of roles. Common careers include purchasing managers for manufacturing and wholesale trade, real estate managers and executives, and contract managers.
According to the BLS, purchasing managers, buyers, and purchasing agents earned a combined median annual salary of $67,600 as of May 2018. Pursuing a top online MBA offers an attractive, resume-boosting credential for prospective employees hoping to make their mark in a competitive field.
Why Should You Get an Online MBA in Acquisitions?
By pursuing a top online MBA, students can balance their studies with professional responsibilities. In a field that requires many buyers and purchasing agents to spend at least a year in training, an online MBA can allow students to gain that experience while also pursuing their degree.
Students pursuing an MBA in acquisitions can focus their studies to hone their expertise, making them strong applicants in a competitive field. With an MBA, graduates may qualify for faster advancement and more lucrative opportunities.
In addition to education and experience, location and industry factor into salary potential for MBA graduates. In New Jersey, the top-paying state for purchasing managers, employees with that title earned an annual mean wage of $164,910 as of May 2018, with New York, Colorado, and California close behind. Those working for the oil and gas extraction industry earned an annual mean wage of $156,030, with runner-up industries including non-depository credit intermediation and apparel, piece goods, and notions merchant wholesalers.
What Can You Do With an MBA in Acquisitions?
- Vice President, Real Estate Acquisitions
- Known for their skills in contract negotiations, acquisitions, real estate, and financial analysis, a VP of real estate acquisitions takes supervisory responsibility for their company's real estate operations. They oversee company assets, work to acquire new assets, and set purchase terms including sales agreements and financing. The BLS projects a 6% growth rate for top executives in the U.S. PayScale reports a median salary of $134,000 for this position.
- Associate General Counsel
- Highly skilled in contract negotiation, contract management, and legal compliance, an associate general counsel ensures that their organization adheres to regulations that apply to their particular business. They also research company rights, and assert them as necessary. An associate general counsel oversees any legal proceedings involving the company, and reviews all contracts and agreements. PayScale reports a median annual salary of $138,000 for this position, while the BLS projects an increase of 7% for all legal positions between 2018 and 2028.
- Asset Manager
- With strong skills in financial analysis, data analysis, real estate, and project management, an asset manager tracks their company's assets, including all technology, real estate, and loan portfolios. These professionals manage the financial aspects of asset maintenance, including any upkeep that properties and technology may require. They also oversee any necessary upgrades by preparing budget statements and working with vendors. PayScale reports a median annual salary of $71,000 for this position.
Online MBA in Acquisitions Curriculum
A top online MBA in acquisition covers topics in general business administration and acquisition. Curricula vary from school to school, so prospective students should check with their program of interest for detailed course descriptions.
Procurement and Acquisition Management
A foundational course in acquisition, this class provides an introductory overview of topics in acquisition, law and regulations, management, negotiation, and logistics.
Acquisitions and Contract Law
This course prepares students to understand contract and fiscal laws, including how to deal with breaches and terminations. Students also gain a solid understanding of the Uniform Commercial Code in the context of acquisition law.
This course provides a background in cost analysis as it relates to negotiation techniques. Topics include preparation, documentation, strategies for negotiation, and contract administration.
See More Top MBA Programs
How to Choose the Right Online MBA in Acquisitions Program
To choose the right online MBA in acquisition, prospective students should consider their personal needs and career goals. Some factors to consider include: accreditation, program flexibility (including full-time and part-time options), affordability, school location, local partnerships, and extracurricular graduation requirements such as internships.
Accreditation serves as a marker of a reputable program. Prospective students should also consider whether the school in question holds regional accreditation, which generally indicates the most rigorous academic standards. MBA students may also look for programmatic accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business or the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs.
Before selecting a program, students should consider whether full-time or part-time studies best fit their needs. Working professionals and caregivers may elect to study part time, while for other students completing a program quickly makes the most sense. Extending a program may entail more tuition payments over time, though gaining experience through work may serve as a worthwhile trade. School location also impacts tuition costs; some schools allow online students to pay in-state tuition regardless of their residency status, while others maintain tuition rates corresponding to the resident/nonresident distinction.
Students may also wish to research programs that offer internships or other portfolio-boosting projects such as capstones or thesis projects.
Scholarships for Acquisitions MBA Programs
Prospective students can find a wealth of scholarship opportunities to help support their college education. Local organizations, state government offices, employers, and professional development organizations often offer scholarships applicable to aspiring acquisitions professionals. The list below offers a few examples of scholarships available to MBA students.
Mary Elizabeth Lockwood Beneventi MBA Scholarship
Who Can Apply: The Daughters of the American Revolution awards this potentially renewable scholarship to eligible full-time MBA students who hold a minimum GPA of 3.25 and attend an accredited program.
Amount: $2,000Apply for Scholarship
C200 Scholar Awards
Who Can Apply: Women students enrolled in an MBA program that hosts a C200 Reachout seminar may apply for this award. Applicants must possess strong leadership skills, ingenuity, and integrity.
Amount: Up to $10,000Apply for Scholarship
Lighthouse Guild International Graduate Award
Who Can Apply: Vision-impaired graduate students can apply for this unrestricted, merit-based scholarship. Applicants must be enrolled in a post-baccalaureate or master's program leading to a degree.
Amount: $10,000Apply for Scholarship
Rising Farmworker Dream Fund Fellowship
Who Can Apply: This fellowship supports the children of U.S. farmworkers who plan to pursue an MBA within the next three years. The organization also provides GRE and GMAT test preparation services and application assistance.
Amount: VariesApply for Scholarship
Who Can Apply: Full-time or part-time women students attending schools that participate in the Forté selection process may apply for this award. Candidates must demonstrate strong leadership and mentorship skills applicable to women pursuing MBA degrees.
Amount: Up to 50% tuitionApply for Scholarship
Professional Organizations for Acquisitions
By participating in professional organizations and attending local meetings, conferences, and online discussions, MBA students and graduates can form connections with colleagues, find mentorship opportunities, and pursue continuing education. The list below offers details about five professional organizations for acquisitions professionals.
- American Management AssociationThe AMA offers professional development opportunities across business skill domains including leadership, project management, and finance. Member benefits also include youth programs, self-study opportunities, and a women's leadership center.
- Institute of Asset ManagementAs a hub for asset-management professionals, IAM develops best practices for the field. Member benefits include global networking, event discounts, regional chapters, and professional publications.
- American Finance AssociationDedicated to the study and understanding of financial economics, the AFA's membership consists of professionals with an interest in finance. Members can take advantage of networking opportunities, a code of ethics, and an annual meeting.
- Accounting and Financial Women's AllianceAFWA supports women in business through networking opportunities via annual conferences and committees, advanced certifications and professional development, and leadership training. Members also gain access to an online job board.
- Financial Executives InternationalFEI supports corporate financial executives across industries and specialties through online, chapter, and conference networking opportunities. The organization also offers continuing education webinars and in-person workshops.